Hungary is a member of the European Union, NATO, OECD, Visegrad Group and is a Schengen state. It has been a parliamentary republic since 1989. The official language is Hungarian, which is part of the Finno-Ugric language family.
The currency is Forint (HUF). Hungary is one of the 15 most popular tourist destinations in the world with a capital regarded as one of the most beautiful cities.
- Foundation of the Hungarian state: 895 AD
- Area: 93,030 km2
- Population: around 10 million
- Major religion: Catholic (appr. 58%)
- Major rivers: Duna, in English Danube (417 km) and Tisza (597 km)
- Largest lakes: Lake Balaton, Lake Velence
- Highest point above sea level: Kékes (1,014 m) in the Mátra Mountains
- Climate: continental with four seasons, highs in the summer are 27 °C (80.6 °F) to 35 °C (95 °F), lows in the winter are 0 °C (32 °F) to －15 °C (5.0 °F)
- Currency: Forint (HUF), see current exchange rates
- Time zone: CET (UTC+1), summer: CEST (UTC+2)
- Calling code for Hungary: +36
- Calling code for Budapest: (+36) 1
- Drives: on the right side
- Electricity: 230 V