International Business School treats all its students, regardless of age on entry, as independent, mature individuals.
However, a student under 18 years of age living in Hungary are considered by law to be underage, which means the University has additional responsibilities towards students it admits under the age of 18 until the date when they turn 18, even if this period is brief. Additional responsibilities include increased protection against safety and health risks, intimidation, abuse, bullying, harassment (physical or online), discrimination, radicalization, and extremism. In this section below, we outline for you, your parents and guardians as much information as possible to ensure a smooth start in IBS whilst you are under the age of 18.
If you are under 18 when you enrol at IBS, you are officially an underage person in Hungary.
As a result, you will have to bear in mind some legal restrictions when starting your IBS studies and stay in Hungary:
- you alone cannot sign any official documents including the IBS Education Contract or your residence permit at the Immigration Office without your parent/guardian,
- you alone cannot rent a flat,
- you alone cannot open a bank account in Hungary,
- you alone cannot get vaccinated in Hungary etc.
While you are still under 18 your parents should accompany you in Budapest, or you should present an official authorization where your parent/guardian authorizes a person above 18 who stays in Budapest and can act and sign documents on your behalf.
You can find attached the authorization form in two languages. Please bring 2 signed hard copies of the authorization form (in Hungarian and English) with you for enrolment along with the person who can sign documents on your behalf.
Due to the strict Immigration Regulations,
- we can accept students under 28 years of age for the BSc programmes with a study gap of maximum 5 years.
- we can accept students under 35 years of age for the MSc programmes with a study gap of maximum 5 years.
- Bachelor’s students must turn 17 years of age until 1 September of the year of their enrolment.
- International University Foundation students must turn 16 years of age until 1 September of the year of their enrolment.
- Bachelor’s students must turn 17 years of age until 1 February of the year of their enrolment.
- International University Foundation students must turn 16 years of age until 1 February of the year of their enrolment..
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org