While there is no compulsory teaching in the research degrees at IBS, the Research Programmes Council will, based on the evaluation of their admission file, strongly recommend candidates to attend one or several of the following workshops.
Workshops offered for the enrolled research students, 1st semester:
- workshop (in the first research month) Kick-off meeting (topics covered: rehashes the research process, critical expectations, key dates; “let the students utter their expectations and discuss each others’ topics”)
- workshop (in the 2nd research month) Academic writing: raising awareness of what constitutes acceptable academic writing, encouraging students to start writing from the earliest days of their research; critical reflections on style, basic vocabulary
- workshop (in the 3rd research month) Writing a literature review 1: locating and selecting literature, explaining what it is and what it is not; how to read with purpose; showing strategies for structuring and synthesizing
- workshop (in the 4th research month) Writing a literature review 2: discussing the merits of at least 2 pre-selected and pre-read literature reviews (from academic articles), with particular regard to critical analysis
- workshop (in the 5th or 6th research month) Literature review draft: presenting, peer-feedback
Research methodology: How to plan and write methodology (discussing the preferred methodologies found in literature review in selected topic, pros and cons)